Established in 1960, Guide Dogs Queensland helps to equip, empower and educate Queenslanders who are blind or vision impaired, of all ages, with a range of orientation and mobility services.
With less than seven per cent Government funding for some specific rehabilitation services, and none for our Guide Dogs, we rely on the generosity of individuals, puppy sponsors, corporate support and people who leave a bequest in their Will to fund our vital work. And all services, including our Guide Dogs are offered free of charge.
We are best known for our icon - the Guide Dog, however, this service is just a small part of what we do. Our services include:
- Guide Dog training and placement;
- White Cane training;
- Electronic Travel Aid training;
- Community and professional education workshops;
- Special mobility programs for children; and
- Counselling by our own staff psychologists.
- Services are delivered in the community and through residential programs during which clients learn new skills and live on-site in our Client Residence.
GDQ is the only service provider in Queensland that offers this complete range of rehabilitation services, and we have seven regional offices in Cairns, Townsville, Rockhampton, Bundaberg, Toowoomba and on the Gold and Sunshine coasts.
Thousands of Queenslanders with little or no vision turn to us each year seeking our support, training and resources. We aim to keep people independent and mobile at home, in the community and at work.
Ultimately, we help people overcome the disadvantage of vision loss to live full and independent lives.
In this section
- Guide Dogs
- Freecall 1800 810 122
- Guide Dogs Shop
- 1800 007 460
- Head Office
Guide Dogs Queensland
Breeding and Training Centre
1978 Gympie Rd
Bald Hills, Qld, 4036