Top Ten Ways to Help
Each year we come across hundreds of well-wishers who want to ‘do something’ to help Guide Dogs Queensland, but don’t know what to do or where to start.
It all starts with a commitment to contribute some time and then it’s just a matter of finding the best fit for you!
There are many ways you can support Guide Dogs Queensland. Why not make today the day you join our growing army of volunteers and socially-responsible citizens who enjoy engaging with their local communities and consciously give of themselves or their resources to help others.
Here is our “Top Ten” list of ways you can help.
1. Contribute your time. Volunteer to sell merchandise during our Statewide promotional campaigns (Guide Dog Week and Puppy Appeal); assist with public speaking at schools or service clubs; help with administrative duties in our regional or head offices; or join our special projects teams and committees around the State and share your professional expertise; become a full-time volunteer and care for one of our Guide Dogs-in-training (Public Relations) and accompany the dog at promotional events and functions. Click here for more information.
2. Sponsor a puppy. Sponsorship packages start from just $21.00 a month. You receive regular updates of your pup’s progress as it grows and learns to be a Guide Dog. Share this rewarding journey and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing your contribution enables a blind or vision impaired Queenslander to live a mobile and independent life.
3. Sponsor equipment or electronic travel aids. With a similar function to Guide Dogs, these mobility aids, such as the GPS Trekker, Mini-Guide, or UltraCane, are used by clients who are blind or have low vision to find their way safely and become as independent as possible. GDQ purchases this equipment , which we then provide free of charge, so your sponsorship is a significant help.
4. Spend it wisely. Browse our Online Shop, Homewares Plus Catalogues and Wine Club specials where you'll find great gift ideas from the purely practical through to the quirky or indulgent. OR make a donation! You can give as much or as little as you can afford. Give during our Pawknock Appeal held annually or make regular donations and reap the tax benefit. Drop loose change into our iconic Collection Dogs or make a (secure) donation on-line. Organise a regular electronic transfer of funds from your bank and of course you can send in a cheque any time! Our commercial activities cover administrative costs so you can be assured your donated dollar goes directly towards the provision of our services and the training of Guide Dogs.
5. Clean out the shed. We turn second-hand goods into cash! If you live near our Breeding and Training Centre at Bald Hills, Brisbane, or in the Bundaberg area you can donate new or good quality second-hand clothes, furniture and other goods to our ‘Op Shop’ – our volunteers will do the rest!
6. Get to work. Make a donation and ask your boss to match it. Talk to your HR department about a work place giving program where everyone contributes or encourage your social club to raise funds for Guide Dogs Queensland.
7. Join our Wine Club. If you enjoy fine wine and the convenience of delivery to your door, the Guide Dogs Queensland Wine Club offers a top notch range of red, white and sparkling varieties from Australia’s most reputed family-owned vineyards. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Use your influence. Think of creative ways in which your business can contribute to Guide Dogs Queensland. Exercise corporate social responsibility and enjoy the positive kudos associated with partnering with a not-for-profit that empowers, educates and equips people with life changing services. Distribute our catalogues, encourage neighbours to have a fundraising street party, talk to friends or social groups about the importance of supporting and connecting with the community – they may be looking for a group to support!
9. Become an advocate. Do you “know people” who know “people”? Appeal to those who could make a significant contribution or donate ‘in-kind’ goods or services. E.g. Sporting or television celebrities, respected business leaders or public speakers who would draw an audience to one of our events, or who could donate an item of ‘memorabilia’. Local business who might donate goods or practical services that could be raffled or auctioned.
10. Leave a lasting legacy: You can make a bequest to Guide Dogs Queensland in your Will. This gesture will ensure your contribution has an impact on generations of Queenslanders with low or no vision. We provide a free solicitor service and will work with you to ensure your instructions are met.
Please join us: Support our third party fundraisers such as Golf Days, Open Gardens, Race Days, Bowls Days and Dinners, or initiate your own! Check out our Calendar of Events for the latest news on coming events.
More information and opportunities about how to get involved and support Guide Dogs Queensland can be found in this section and throughout our website. To download our How You Can Help brochure click here.
Or you can call your local Fundraising Coordinator:
- Brisbane: 07 3261 7555
- Gold Coast: 07 5528 0433
- Townsville: 07 4728 6922
- Toowoomba: 07 4632 6944
In this section
- Guide Dogs
- Freecall 1800 810 122
- Guide Dogs Shop
- 1800 007 460
- Head Office
Guide Dogs Queensland
Breeding and Training Centre
1978 Gympie Rd
Bald Hills, Qld, 4036