Celebrating International White Cane Day
International White Cane Day is held on 15 October each year to raise awareness of the importance of the white cane and how it can aid the mobility and independence of a person with sight loss. Navigating day-to-day duties can be something we take for granted, but for those with low or no vision it can be more difficult. For many facing a life with vision loss, using a white cane gives them the confidence to carry out these daily tasks.
How you can help
Here are the key things you should remember to best assist people who are blind or have low vision in your community navigate safely and independently:
- Ask the person using a white cane if they would like assistance and if so, how?
- If you see a person with a white cane, be aware and give them space to navigate
- Don’t be offended if a person with a white cane declines your offer of help, they may simply be confident travelling independently or concentrating
- Alert the person with a white cane if they are in any immediate danger
- Report all hazards in public spaces to your local council
Share with Friends
Date and Time
Start: Tuesday 15 October 2019