Orientation and Mobility Specialist – various locations
An exciting opportunity exists for experienced Orientation and Mobility Specialist (O&M) Instructors to join our client services team at Guide Dogs Queensland. We are looking to fill roles based at offices in Toowoomba, Townsville and Brisbane.
Our mission is to deliver O&M services to blind & vision impaired adults and children throughout communities in Queensland. Our O&M Specialists work across a multidisciplinary team working to enrich the lives of Queenslanders with no or low vision.
Your professional input will compliment existing services to provide a holistic approach in enabling clients to participate independently, confidently and safely in daily life.
You will be committed to a person centred approach to working with people with low or no vision and bring excellence, enthusiasm and experience to the role. Your ability to strike rapid rapport and build trust with our clients, your colleagues and management is also key to being a success.
Key selection criteria:
- Qualifications – a recognised O&M qualification and suitable experience providing O&M Services to adults and children who are blind or vision impaired.
- Proven and demonstrated skills in the use of up to date orientation and mobility techniques and strategies, including use of orientation and low vision skills, mobility aids (long cane, support cane, identification cane, adaptive mobility devices), electronic travel aids and the provision of resource information relating to people with vision impairment.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and as an effective member of a team, to meet deadlines, report and provide regular updates regarding O&M work activities.
- Demonstrated excellence in both written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to professional development and quality assurance.
- Current drivers licence is essential.
This position requires regular travel within an allocated region on an operational basis.
To view our position description, please click here.
Guide Dogs Queensland’s head office is based in Bald Hills. Our large campus is in a beautiful setting where we run mobility training programs for clients, and where all our Guide Dogs are born and trained. We offer many staff benefits, including attractive salary packaging options, flexible work hours, recognition and celebration of our hardworking people, staff wellness programs, as well as encouraging your career development.
If you would like to work for an organisation that is always striving to do better, and be better in our community, making a difference to the lives of people living with no or low vision , then we want to hear from you!
To apply, please forward your resume, attaching a cover letter (nor more than 2 pages) telling us why you’d be a great fit for our organisation.
Applications can be emailed to [email protected]